My knowledge of the German language can only be described as limited and somewhat random.
There are my favourite German words – wunderbar, pretzel, and danke, which I like to randomly throw around for no good reason, the guten tags and guten morgens I used respectfully while in Germany, and finally ich will Sex mit dir in meinem Dopplestockbett haben, which had us in hysterics back in the old uni days.
Earlier this week though, thanks to the lovely Wendy at One Of My Own, I added a new word to my collection. Wendy, the sweetheart that she is, awarded me a Liebster Award.
The word ‘Liebster’ apparently has German origins and is reported to mean sweetest, kindest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. Aww shucks.
The Liebster Award is given to support and recognise up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers (on their blog) or likers (on their Facebook page).
Accepting this award was a huge honour for me. There is no way that I could have imagined a few months ago when I started blogging that I would be welcomed so readily into this amazing digital community. I am so very grateful for the support I have recieved so far. I want this love of blogging and passion I feel for this hobby to last forever.
Anyway, back to the award. In accepting this award, I need to follow some basic rules:
- answer 11 questions set by your nominee
- write 11 additional facts about yourself
- write 11 new questions of your own
- pass the award onto 11 other bloggers to answer.
The award enables readers to get to know new bloggers and connect with a wider audience.
So, without further ado, here are my answers to Wendy’s questions:
1. What is in the crisper drawer of your fridge right now?
Kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, Thai sweet basil, eschallots, and green beans screaming to be made into a delicious green vegetable curry.
2. Best housework/cleaning tip?
Hmm, I’m no Martha Stewart, but my hot tip is using metho in water to clean mirrors rather than using windex. It’s quicker and you don’t need as much elbow grease.
3. The last thing you took a photo of
My three loves. They were sitting on the grass enjoying the Winter sunshine. Dave was replanting some pansies, Curly-locks was chatting away happily, and baby Smiley was giving me a muddy smile as she enjoyed her first taste of dirt.
4. Favourite TV show when you were a kid
The Wonder Years. I was obsessed with Kevin Arnold. I had a poster of Fred Savage on my wall and even had The Wonder Years soundtrack.
5. Tea, coffee, or hot chocolate?
Well, there was once a day when I would say Milo, but tea is my go to now.
6. Last place you stayed overnight away from home
Twin Waters, Queensland. Dave and I went away for a wedding. We had the best time burning up the dance floor. In fact, we were the last ones on the dance floor. I missed the kids terribly though, so we raced home early the next day.
7. A person who has inspired you
My husband, Dave, inspires me on a daily basis. I long to be as rational and chilled as he is. He takes everything in his stride and is his own man.
8. Musical instrument. Do you play one?
I don’t, but if I did it would totally be the guitar.
9. What are you afraid of?
Losing my husband and/or children.
10. Your most useful kitchen appliance/gadget
The one getting the most use at the moment is my Baby Bullet. It blitzes up meals for baby Smiley in seconds.
11. First concert you attended?
Arrested Development at Brisbane’s Festival Hall. I was 16 years old and thought I was so, so cool.
And now for 11 facts about myself:
- I have been a vegetarian for most of my life. Even as a child, I would go to great lengths to not eat meat. I would secretly drop it under my chair at the dinner table and throw it out later, or ask to go to the toilet, put a whole heap of meat in my mouth, and then spit it out down the toilet. I forgot to flush once, so that was the end of that …
- I do a killer running man.
- I know all of the words to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
- I am a good listener. I may not always give the greatest advice, but friends and family know I am always there to lend an ear and that I will bend over backwards to help them.
- I am an absolute TV addict. Major obsessions in the past have been Gossip Girl, Dexter, Alias, Buffy, The OC …the list goes on.
- Speaking of lists. I love me a good list. I have them scattered all over the house.
- I am a sensitive soul. I am deeply empathetic and consider myself quite intuitive.
- I’ve been on TV a handful of times. Once or twice when I was a Queensland University of Technology student journalist, once when Today Tonight interviewed me, and then there was the time my friends and I made an all singing all dancing video clip to Aretha Franklin’s Respect.
- I choose to always see the best in people and give them the benefit of the doubt.
- I am fairly certain I have seen/felt a ghost before when I was working back late once.
- I once hula hooped for 14 minutes straight … and then vomited.
My 11 questions for you:
- Who is the last person you spoke to on the phone?
- What is your favourite TV show?
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
- Where is your favourite place to eat?
- What is your favourite item of clothing?
- Any new or exciting news to share?
- Share one of your most embarrassing moments.
- What are your pet peeves?
- Which store would you max your credit card out at?
- Why did you start blogging?
- Who/what inspires you?
My 11 nominees are … drum roll please: