Did you know I like to serve up slimy peas to my kids?
Slimy peas, ‘da-scusting ‘keeni’ (zucchini) and spaghetti that makes my eldest hold her head in her hands before she looks at me with her big, brown eyes brimming with tears.
‘No, Mum. Not spaghetti. I just. I, just can’t.’
Sound like your house?
I must admit that our food issues have improved vastly over the years. As a newbie mum, I quickly fell into the trap of cooking several meals a night for my kids. Don’t like the tuna bake? No worries, I’ll just whip up some mashed veg. Nope, still don’t like that … scrambled eggs, anyone?
I filled myself with worry that if they didn’t have at least something in their stomach they would get sick. Thankfully, I came to my senses and those crazy days are over. If you don’t eat what’s on your plate, you go to bed hungry.
The girls are mostly good at eating their dinner (touch wood) despite a little whinging. They know they need to attempt to eat everything on their plate and try new foods and flavours every now and then. I know I give the kids more sugar than they should have, but they have a mostly healthy and well-balanced diet.
Despite the healthy diet, they of course still get sick. It’s kind of unavoidable, I guess, when they are mixing with so many different kids at school and daycare.
Dave and I both take vitamins to supplement our diets and I’ve often toyed with the idea of vitamins for the kids, but never followed through with it.
Swisse made my mind up for me recently when they sent me a pack of their new sugar-free, tooth friendly kids range to trial.
The new range is suitable for 2 – 12 year olds and is a collection of five products especially developed for growing bodies:
- Fish Oil
- Vitamin C + Zinc
- Calcium + D3
I must admit I was a little anxious when I handed over a multi vitamin and probiotic for the girls to taste test. I could just picture them spitting it back out. I couldn’t believe it when Miss Three announced her probiotic tasted like marshmallows.
‘Yes, fluffy marshmallows,’ Miss Six concurred.
Fluffly marshmallows? I couldn’t believe it. Swisse has seriously nailed it if it can create vitamins that taste like marshmallows.
The multi vitamin was met with a little more uncertainty.
‘Spicy kiwi fruit!’ Miss Three announced.
‘Hmm … kiwi fruit with a hint of pepper,’ was Miss Six’s final verdict.
I squeeze the fish oil and calcium into the girls’ breakfast cereal and they are none the wiser.
The girls love the vitamins and specifically request their ‘circles’ with breakfast every morning.
‘They are yummy,’ said Miss Three. ‘… but most important-nest of all. They are good for you.’
That’s exactly right, Miss Three.
In the Swisse Kids Health Report 2016, it was discovered that:
- One in two Australian parents (55 %) are ‘extremely’ or ‘very’ concerned about their children’s nutrition.
- Only 30 % of parents know the recommended daily nutrition guidelines.
- Sugar is the number one dietary concern with 45% of parents ‘extremely’ or ‘very’ concerned about the amount of sugar in children’s diet and a further one-third (32%) ‘moderately’ concerned.
- Fussy eating is widespread. Two in every three children aged 2 – 8 years are fussy eaters (66% of boys and 68% of girls, and 59% of 2-12 year olds).
- Half of parents (51%) ‘regularly’ or ‘sometimes’ give children food that is not nutritionally ideal just so they will eat.
Swisse Head of Technical Innovation Anotinette-Louise Barnado said Swisse has taken its time to ensure its first complete children’s range meets the health needs of children. They’ve created products parents know they can trust and are beneficial for their child, not full of sugar or additives that children’s vitamins typically incorporate for taste.
The Swisse Kids range is based on scientific evidence. It is tailored to meet children’s nutritional needs and the recommended daily intake of vitamins and minerals.
Want a chance to win 1 x Swisse Kids Vitamins pack valued at $100?
Enter the Rafflecopter competition below.
Terms and Conditions
– This giveaway is only open to Australian residents (excluding ACT).
– This giveaway closes at 12am AEST on Tuesday 11 October.
– Winners will be contacted via email on Wednesday 12 October.
– This is a game of skill. The most interesting answer as judged by a panel will be deemed a winner.
Mummy, Wife, Me received a $100 pack of Swisse Kids Vitamins in exchange for this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
Linking up today with Kylie Purtell for IBOT.